Saturday, August 11, 2007

Inzi Wants To Play In India

imageMedia company Zee Telefilms are bankrolling a new league Twenty20 competition to the sum of around £500,000 in India and are hoping to lure some of the world's biggest names.

The reluctance, however, of the Board of Control for Cricket in India - and consequently the International Cricket Council - to recognise the competition has meant other national boards have been unwilling to release players.

So far Brian Lara, who retired from international cricket earlier this year, is the only world star to have signed up. Shane Warne and Chris Cairns have also been linked but it is unlikely any current internationals will play.

Pakistan batsman Inzamam believes that should change as he feels he needs to play more domestic cricket to prepare for internationals.

The 37-year-old is not currently under any contract to the Pakistan Cricket Board and feels he should be free to take up an offer in the India Cricket League without punishment.

"It is understandable the board saying this about their players under a central contract but they have not given me any contract, and it's an open market," Inzamam wrote in his diary on Bigstarcricket.com.

"If they are not selecting me I have a right to play cricket anywhere, whether in county cricket, Bangladesh, or India.

"I'm not only interested in money, I'm interested in playing cricket. The ICL is offering me good money and cricket.

"I have not played any cricket for four months since the World Cup.

"Although I am still desperate to play for Pakistan it is not good for me if I get picked for Test cricket with no match practice behind me.

"There is no cricket in Pakistan before the South Africa series so I need to play.

"I would like to go and play in India and then as soon as my country needs me I would come back for national duty."

Inzamam, Pakistan's second-highest Test runscorer and closing on 10,000, is considering the offer from the ICL and says he will make a decision in the next three days.

No comments: